Business Immigration Program
Canadian Business Immigration Program Lawyer
In terms of applying for permanent residence, currently the main avenues of business immigration to Canada are through the various provincial nominee programs, as the federal government has yet to release a viable business class program to replace the now-defunct Federal Investor and Federal Entrepreneur programs.
Except for Quebec, which still offers an investor program, the various provincial programs are all types of entrepreneur programs which offer permanent residence in Canada in return for the business immigrant setting up or purchasing and then personally managing a business in the province.
The Self-employed program is the last remaining federal business immigration category that allows for a direct application for permanent residence in Canada. This category is directed towards people working in the cultural industries, such as artists, musicians, and athletes. Farmers used to be able to apply through the self-employed category but this stream was discontinued in March 2018. The basic criteria of the program are:
- At least 2 years of experience of self-employment in a cultural industry or athletics, or
- Participation for at least 2 years in a cultural industry or athletics, at a world class level
- Pass a point system test that assesses the applicant’s age, education, work experience, language abilities, and adaptability.
Applicants under the self-employed category must demonstrate the experience, intention and ability to create an employment position for at least themselves in Canada that will make a significant contribution to cultural activities or athletics in the country.
The Law Office of Matthew Jeffery has years of experience assisting clients to immigrate to Canada through the Self-employed category. If you are interested in making a Self-employed application, please contact us for further information.
FAQ on Federal Self-Employed Program
This program enables business persons to immigrate to Canada by providing the sum of $1,200,000 to the Quebec government, which the Quebec government will invest for its own benefit, then refund to the investor immigrant after a period of five years, interest free.
To be eligible for this program, you must:
- Have, alone or with an accompanying spouse, net assets of at least $2,000,000 CAD
- Have experience in management in a legal farming, commercial or industrial business, or in a legal professional business
- Intend to settle in Québec and sign an agreement to invest $1,200,000 CAD
- The investment of $1,200,000 CAD for a five-year term is guaranteed by the Gouvernement du Québec
- Brokers and trust companies offer the possibility of financing the investment.
- At the end of the five-year term, Quebec will, within 30 days, reimburse the applicant $800,000 CAN without interest. This amount may vary if the applicant secured financing for the investment.
The assessment of the application will also take into account other factors such as age, the nature and duration of any professional training and the applicant’s language skills.
If you are interested in immigration to Canada or Quebec through one of the business immigration programs, please contact us for further information, or complete the Business Immigration Free Assessment Form on our website.