UPDATE: Canada Extends Length of Super Visa

Update: Canada Extends Length of Super Visas

Starting July 4, 2022, Canada will increase the period in which Super Visa holders can extend their stay in Canada from 2 years to 5 years. This will allow Super Visa Holders to remain in Canada for 7 consecutive years. Additionally, health insurance companies will begin to cover Super Visa holders for the entirety of their 7-year stay.

A Super Visa, also known as the ‘Parent and Grandparent Super Visa’, allows the foreign parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens and permanent residents to enter Canada on multiple entries for up to two years. Once in Canada, a Super Visa holders can apply to extend their stay past two years. As of July 4, 2022, Super Visa holders will be able to extend their stay by an additional 5 years.

A Super Visa still only allows eligible parents and grandparents to stay temporarily in Canada. To stay in Canada permanently, parents and grandparents must still be sponsored for permanent residence by their Canadian children or grandchildren.

Who’s Eligible For a Parent and Grandparent Super Visa?

To apply for a Super Visa, you must show that you are the parent or grandparent of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. You must submit a letter of invitation from your child or grandchild, and they must demonstrate that they are able to financially support you for the duration of your visit. Additionally, you must undergo a medical exam and security check, and purchase private health insurance. Finally, you must apply for the Super Visa from outside of Canada.

What Is the Difference Between a Super Visa and a Visitor Visa?

The primary difference between a Super Visa and a Visitor Visa is the length of time you are allowed to stay in Canada. A Visitor Visa generally will allow you to stay in Canada for up to 6 months. A Super Visa allows you to enter Canada for 2 years, which, as of July 4, 2022, can be extended for up to 5 more years.

What Are the Requirements for a Canadian Super Visa?

Letter of Invitation:
In your application, you must provide a letter of invitation from your Canadian child or grandchild. This letter must include a promise of financial support for the duration of your stay in Canada, a list of who and number of people in their household, and a copy of their Canadian citizenship or permanent resident document.

Minimum Necessary Income:
The child or grandchild that invites you must show that they meet the minimum necessary income. The necessary income is calculated based on the size of your household family unit, which includes both the child or grandchild, and the parent or grandparent. This can be shown by providing their Notice of Assessment or T4/T1 form for the most recent tax year, Employment Insurance stubs, pay stubs, bank statements, and/or and employment letter. In 2022, the minimum necessary gross income is:

# of people
Funds required (CAD)
More than 7 persons
add $6,985 for each additional person

Health Insurance:
You must also purchase private health insurance that is valid for at least one year. The medical insurance must be purchased from a Canadian insurance company and must provide at least $100,000 CAD coverage. The Canadian government is working with Canadian insurance providers to allow Super Visa holders that wish to extend their stay by 5 years to purchase additional insurance coverage for the entire duration of their stay.

Medical Exam and Biometrics:
You must take an immigration medical exam prior to submitting your application. This is called an upfront medical exam, and you can get one by contacting a panel physician directly. You can search the list of panel physicians on the government website.

Once you have applied, if you are from a visa-required country, you will need to provide your fingerprints and photo (biometrics) to the immigration authorities.

How Can We Help?

At the Law Office of Matthew Jeffery, we have over 20 years of expert experience assisting clients with their immigration and refugee matters, including successfully applying for Super Visas and Parental Sponsorships. Please CONTACT US today to see how we can help you with your immigration matters.