Intra-Company Transferee Work Permit Application

The Canadian International Mobility Program (IMP) allows employers to get employees from outside Canada without the requirement of a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). The IMP has an intra-company transferees category that allows multi-national companies to transfer qualified professionals and employees to Canada temporarily. The primary requirements that must be met by such transfer of professional and employees are:
  • Transfers should be for expansion purposes and management needs
  • Transfer should be geared towards the improvement of the Canadian business
  • Transfers should help the company be more competitive internationally, which would help its Canadian operations.
  • The transferee must currently be employed by the multi-national company
  • The transferee must be coming to the parent, branch, affiliate, or subsidiary of the same organization.
  • The Canadian company must have rights over the employee in the performance of his/her duties
  • The transferee must possess highly unusual and uncommon knowledge in his field or must come in for a senior manager or executive position
  • The transferee’s skills must not be readily available on the market
  • There should be proof of the transferee’s specialized knowledge such as advanced education in his niche, a knowledge that is unique to the industry or the company, and salary reflecting the specialization of the employee

How we assist you

At the Law Office of Matthew Jeffery, we help ease the intra-company transfer Canada process. We specialize in immigration law and we have a solid track record of helping multi-nationals bring their best talent into the country. The intra-company transferees category follows Canadian immigration regulations and the specific provisions of international trade agreements. This means getting top talent from the U.S. is not the same as getting talent from Japan. We will assist you to understand agreements with different countries so that you can know which employees may potentially be transferred. We assist potential transferees under the program who come from countries that have free trade agreements with Canada (a good example being NAFTA) and those that participate in the General Agreement on Trade in Services get work permits. Note that transferees coming in from such countries are exempt from the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) because Canada benefit from the reciprocal transfer of expertise and skills. We will assist you in gathering all the necessary documentation and will prepare all the necessary legal submissions. We can also assist with such applications as the express entry, permanent residence, and temporary residence applications. You can contact an intra company immigration lawyer Canada at 416-944-3267 to get a assessment.