How Much Does It Cost to Immigrate to Canada?

How Much Does it Cost To Immigrate To Canada?

Anyone planning to immigrate to Canada should know how much money it actually costs to do so. The answers to some of our most frequently asked questions regarding immigration fees and required income are below:

How much does it cost to apply to immigrate to Canada?

Our office often receives questions like “what are the temporary resident visa Canada fees” and “what are the permanent resident Canada fees?”

You will need to pay processing fees directly to the IRCC when you submit your application. The processing fees may vary depending on whether your spouse, partner, or dependent child is accompanying you.

All immigration fees are listed on the Government of Canada website. Here are some of the most common immigration fees:

Are there any hidden fees?

No, not really. While there aren’t any real ‘hidden’ or ‘secret’ fees, there are some additional costs that you should expect and be prepared for.

Language Tests:

Some immigration streams, such as Express Entry, require you to take a language test. In Ontario, the IELTS test costs around $300.00 plus tax. The TEF (French) language proficiency test for permanent residence costs approximately between $320.00 – $440.00.


Citizens of certain countries are required to provide their biometrics, which refers to your photograph and fingerprints. For one person, biometrics cost $85.00. For a family of 2 or more people, the cost is $170.00.

Medical Exams:

You may be asked to undergo a medical exam. These on average cost $100.00.

Other Costs:

Depending on your situation and under which stream you apply, you may need to pay nominal costs for things like police certificates, courier delivery fees, and official translations.

Do I need a certain income or amount in savings before I apply?

Some immigration streams require you to show adequate settlement funds, like family sponsorship and some economic immigration programs.

The required family sponsorship income changes every year. You are required to have earned a certain income for the three years prior to your application for sponsorship. To sponsor a parent or grandparent in 2021, sponsors were assessed on their income for the 2020, 2019, and 2018 tax years.

Usually, the income requirement is the minimum necessary income plus 30%. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, your 2020 income only needed to meet the minimum necessary income.

The minimum income required in the three previous years to sponsor your family members can be found on the Canadian Government website.

You will need to prove that you have a sufficient income to support all the people you will be financially responsible for once you become a sponsor. This includes yourself, as well as your spouse or dependent children, if applicable. The Canadian Government website also explains how to calculate your family size.

Similarly, if you are applying for the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) or the Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP), you will be required to show proof of funds. Currently, a family of one requires $13,213, while a family of four requires $24,553. These amounts are 50% of the low-income cut-off totals.

Are there additional fees for applying through the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP)?

Those applying through the PNP are required to pay additional application fees based on the province they are applying to. Every province and territory has a different fee.
The Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program has three categories. The employer job offer and human capital category fees are either $1500 or $2000. The business category is $3500 per business partner or key staff applicant.

Do I need to hire a lawyer?

It is highly recommended to hire a lawyer to assist with your immigration process. Hiring an experienced lawyer to help you prepare and submit your application can help you better understand your options and increase your chances of receiving a successful result. If you hire a lawyer, they will charge different fees depending on who you hire and under which immigration stream you apply. It is crucial to ensure that the lawyer you hire is a member of a Canadian provincial or territorial law society.

At the Law Office of Matthew Jeffery, we have years of successful experience representing clients in their immigration and refugee cases. You can CONTACT US today to see whether we can assist you with your immigration or refugee matters.