The Federal Skilled Trades Program Under Express Entry System

The Express Entry system for immigration to Canada allows faster selection and processing of skilled immigrants who are able to contribute to Canada’s economy. Applicants must be eligible for at least one of any of the programs below:

  • The Federal Skilled Worker Program
  • The Federal Skilled Trades Program
  • The Canadian Experience Class
  • A portion of the Provincial Nominee Programs

If you are eligible for any one of these programs, you can complete an Express Entry profile with the help of an immigration lawyer in order to be considered in the pool of candidates. Once you enter the Express Entry pool, Canadian employers as well as the federal and provincial governments can choose you and send you an invitation to apply. You can then submit your permanent residence application which will then be processed within 6 months from the date it was received by the IRCC.

The Federal Skilled Trades Program

As one of the immigration programs covered under the Express Entry program, the Federal Skilled Trades Program has unique requirements which must be fulfilled by all applicants. One must receive a certificate of qualification for this program in order to apply. This certificate is proof that the candidate has passed a certification exam and fulfills all the requirements to practice their trade in a specific province or territory in Canada.

Before you can receive the certificate of qualification, which may be referred to as the certificate of qualification or qualification certificate in a different province, you must complete the Express Entry Profile and then receive an invitation to apply for permanent residence as a skilled worker. You will only receive the invitation if you have a high score and rank in the Express Entry pool.

How To Receive The Certificate Of Qualification

In Canada, the certificate of qualification which applies in the Federal Skilled Trades Program, is issued by the specific regulatory body that governs trades in the province or territory. Provinces and territories are in charge of education and training of skilled traders. They are the ones who place rules and guidelines as to standards and conditions that will be used to assess or recognize foreign credentials for specific trades. Therefore, the regulatory body will assess your training, trade experience and skills in order to determine if you are eligible to be certified.

In some cases, you will be required to write an exam before being given the certificate of qualification. This means you will have to travel to the province in order to write the exam to be certified. In some cases, you will be required to look for an employer in Canada who will offer you training and work experience before you can take the exam.

The provincial or territorial body that is responsible for issuing certificates of qualification can provide more information regarding this. When you work with an Express Entry lawyer Canada, you’ll get help to complete your Express Entry profile and easily navigate issues such as getting the certificate of qualification from the respective body.

CRS Calculator

Free Express Entry CRS Calculator

We have years of experience assisting applicants with their permanent residence applications through the Express Entry system. See if you qualify by calculating your CRS score.

Additional Articles About Express Entry