Can Your Spouse Move to Canada with You as a Student?

Can Your Spouse Move With You To Canada as a Student?

Studying in Canada is an exciting opportunity for individuals seeking quality education and diverse cultural experiences. However, for students who are married or in a common-law relationship, the decision to pursue education in Canada often involves considerations about whether their spouse can accompany them.

Understanding Spousal Sponsorship:

Spousal sponsorship is permitted under Canadian immigration regulations, enabling citizens or permanent residents to sponsor their spouses or common-law partners’ to become permanent residents in Canada. However, depending on the immigration stream selected, different eligibility requirements and procedures apply. Spousal sponsorship is still a possibility for people who want to bring their partners with them to Canada to study.

Can I bring my wife with me to Canada if I have a student visa?

Yes, it is possible for you to enter Canada with your spouse or common-law partner, or dependent children. Your spouse or partner may qualify for a visitor visa, a work permit, or a study permit. When submitting an application for your study permit, you must also include their application online.

However, you will not be able to sponsor your spouse or common-law partner to Canada to become permanent residents. This is because one of the main requirements in spousal or partner sponsorship is that the sponsor has to be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. A study permit, work permit or visitor visa are all temporary resident visas.

Spousal Sponsorship Toronto

See If You Qualify For Spousal or Partner Sponsorship

Fill out our FREE Family Sponsorship Assessment form to see if you qualify to sponsor your spouse or partner to Canada.

Common-Law Partners and Student Visas

One of the requirements for sponsoring a common-law partner to Canada to become a permanent resident is that the couple had to have been living together consecutively for at least 1 year. There are some challenges to meeting this requirement if the foreign partner lives abroad. For example, if the foreign partner was to visit their Canadian partner in Canada, a visitor visa is only valid for up to 6 months. How will the couple be able to meet the requirement of living together for 1 year?

Thankfully, the answer is simple. A visitor visa can be extended for an additional 6 months and renewed multiple times if necessary. The approval of the extension will depend on the circumstances of the foreign partner.

Another option for meeting the 1-year requirement is having your foreign partner come to Canada on a student visa or work permit. Both of these temporary resident options offer a much longer duration to be able to stay in Canada.

How Long is a Student Visa Valid?

A student visa is valid for the length of the education program that the foreign individual is enrolled in. It also includes an additional 90 days.

How Long is a Work Permit Valid?

Typically, work permits are valid for 1 or 2 years. When establishing the duration of a work permit, a immigration authorities may consider the worker’s passport or other travel document expiration date.

These two options can be considered when common-law partners want to meet the 1 year cohabitation requirement for common-law sponsorship.


Temporary Residents

In conclusion, yes, if you are coming to Canada on a study permit or student visa, your spouse or common-law partner can come with you to Canada as long as you also submit their application online along with your application for a Canadian study permit. If approved, both you and your partner will obtain these temporary residence permits.

Permanent Residents

If you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, you can sponsor your spouse or common-law partner for immigration, allowing them to receive an open work permit and accompany you to Canada. However, in order to ensure a smooth and successful sponsorship procedure, you must meet the qualifying criteria.

If you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident that would like to sponsor your common-law partner and would like to meet the 1 year cohabitation requirement, you may consider having your foreign partner come to Canada on a work permit or study permit.

How Can We Help

The Immigration Law Firm of Matthew Jeffery has over 20 years of experience helping clients reunite with their spouses, partners, and families to Canada permanently. Fill out a free Family Sponsorship Assessment form to see if we can help you bring your spouse or family to Canada.