On August 2, 2022, the Government of Canada introduced new measures to help former international students with expired or expiring post-graduation work permits and applicants to the temporary resident to permanent resident pathways.
These initiatives build off of a previous Government of Canada announcement on April 22, 2022 to help Canada’s pandemic recovery and address labour shortages. This announcement included the new temporary policy that would give recent international graduates the opportunity to stay in Canada longer and gain valuable work experience. It was also announced that the processing of applications will continue for those who applied for permanent residence through the temporary resident to permanent resident pathways in 2021.
New or Extended Open Work Permits for International Graduates
International graduates with expired post-graduation work permits or work permits that will expire from September 20, 2021 to December 31, 2022 now have the opportunity to work in Canada for an additional 18 months. Permit holders can either extend their current work permit or apply for a new one.
For individuals whose post-graduation work permit expires between October 2, 2022 to December 31, 2022:
- If your address is up to date and your passport is valid through until April 2024. The IRCC will send an email confirming your address and then send an updated work permit to your mailing address by mid-October.
- If your address needs to be updated then you will receive an email from IRCC providing instructions to update your mailing address. Once the information is updated then you will receive an updated work permit to your mailing address by mid-November.
- If your passport will not remain valid for an additional 18 months then the IRCC will send a separate email in September providing instructions. This information will need to be updated within a 2-week window. Once the information is updated then you will receive an updated work permit to your mailing address by mid-November.
- If you are unable to update your address and passport information then you will need to apply online to extend your work permit. You could either receive a work permit extended to your passport expiration date or you could wait to apply until you have renewed your passport.
- If the IRCC does not contact you by email by mid-September then you are not eligible for this program. However, you can still apply online to extend your work permit.
For individuals whose post-graduation work permit expired or will expire between September 20, 2021 to October 1, 2022:
- You will need to apply online for a work permit. Applications open on August 2, 2022.
- If your temporary status expired and you are still in Canada, you can apply to restore your status at the same time.
- If you are eligible to apply from abroad and are outside of Canada, you can return after your application has been approved. However, if you have a valid temporary resident visa and are eligible to work during processing, you may be allowed to enter Canada for work.
All work permit applications for this new measure must be submitted by December 31, 2022.
Ability to Work During Processing
From August 8, 2022 onwards, individuals with eligible post-graduation work permits will be contacted by email if they are allowed to work during processing. Candidates can use this email to show to employers that they are still authorized to work in Canada. These measures allow those eligible for the additional 18-month work period to remain working or return to work while they apply for a new work permit or are waiting for the new work permit to arrive. These measures will be in effect until May 31, 2023.
Work Permits for Temporary Resident to Permanent Resident Pathway Applicants
While applications are processing, applicants are now eligible to apply for an open work permit to ensure that they do not lose status in Canada. Those applying for an open work permit can receive one with a December 31, 2024 end-date.
Applicants who previously applied for an open work permit will receive an email from the IRCC informing them about the new work permit. If you are still in Canada, your mailing address is up to date and your passport is valid, an updated work permit will be mailed to you. Applicants should receive it by mid-October. Applicants with passports that expire before December 2024 will not receive an email. However, applicants are still eligible to apply and receive work permits to match their passport expiration date or can apply after renewing their passport. If your need to update your mailing address, applicants will need to apply online.
How We Can Help
If you are worried about your immigration status or are interested in applying for a work permit, it is best to speak to an expert immigration lawyer. At the Law Office of Matthew Jeffery, we are experts in work permit applications. Please CONTACT US today to see whether we can assist you with your immigration matters.