knowledge experience professionalism

Work Permit Applications | Matthew Jeffery, Toronto Immigration Lawyer

Foreign nationals intending to work in Canada can fill out a Work Permit application. In typical circumstances, the foreign national must first receive a legitimate job offer from a Canadian company. The job position for which the individual is applying must receive approval. The employer needs a Labour Market Impact Assessment – or LMIA – before they can officially hire the temporary worker. The LMIA is only issued to the employer if the company can prove to the government’s satisfaction that there are no qualified Canadian nationals available for the position. This process involves advertising the position for a number of months on the national scale, and showing that there were no applications received by qualified Canadian workers who would be right for the job. Once the employer receives the LMIA, they can offer the job to the foreign worker, who can apply for a work permit. The validity of the work permit lasts for one or three years, depending on the circumstances and contract. There is the possibility that it can be extended. Not all work permit applications require an LMIA or a job offer. In general, however, a foreign worker needs to have the following in order to apply for a work permit in Canada: A contract A copy of the LMIA The LMIA number A job offer letter The employer must send the application for the LMIA to Employment and Social Development Canada. Whether you are the employer or the foreign worker, it’s always a good idea to get good legal advice.

Basics of Spousal Sponsorship

Canadian citizens and permanent residents can sponsor their spouses for permanent residence in Canada. A “spouse” is someone that you are married to, i.e., a husband or a wife. To be accepted by the immigration authorities the marriage must be legal under the laws of the country it was performed in.