Which Family Members Can Come with Me to Canada When I Immigrate?

Which family members can come with me to Canada when I immigrate

If you are above the age of 18 and a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, you can sponsor some of your relatives to Canada as permanent residents. Eventually, if they are successful in their application, they can get permanent resident status and start living and working in Canada too. In addition to being a citizen and above the age of 18, you should also be living in Canada and able to earn enough income to cover the basic needs of the family members you intend to sponsor. You are only allowed to sponsor specific relatives under specific conditions described below:

Sponsoring Spouses/Partners and Children

You can sponsor your spouse, common-law or conjugal partner, and biological children. You will need to be approved as a sponsor first before you can have your family begin their application. If you are sponsoring a spouse or partner, you should ensure that your relationship is genuine and not simply for the purpose of acquiring any kind of immigration status in Canada. Otherwise, the immigration authorities can take legal action against both of you. The spouse you intend to sponsor must live with you in the country.
You can also sponsor your dependent children below 19 years of age who are unmarried.

Sponsoring Parents and Grandparents

As a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, you can sponsor your parents and grandparents. However, it is important to understand that the obligations of a sponsor still stands that you will need to provide for the essential needs for your parents and grandparents. The Immigration department usually chooses around 10,000 people at random to apply from those who submit their interest in sponsoring parents and grandparents. You will need to guarantee that your parents or grandparents will not need to get social assistance from the government for at least 20 years.

Brothers and Sisters

Note that brothers and sisters cannot be sponsored directly for permanent residence in Canada. The only way that brothers and sisters can be sponsored is as dependent children on a parental sponsorship application.

Sponsoring Adopted Children and Relatives

You can also sponsor specific relatives and adopted children to apply for permanent residence in Canada. You will still need to meet all the sponsor criteria and be able to provide for them financially as they live with you in Canada. You may need to speak to an immigration professional to find out their eligibility.

Spousal Sponsorship Toronto

See If You Qualify For Spousal or Partner Sponsorship

Fill out our FREE Family Sponsorship Assessment form to see if you qualify to sponsor your spouse or partner to Canada.