Who can be included in my immigration application?

who can be included in my immigration application

A permanent resident is someone who has been granted the permanent resident status but is not a Canadian citizen. Permanent residents, even though they are citizens of other countries, are allowed to work or study anywhere in Canada, enjoy social benefits like health insurance, are protected by the Canadian law and can apply for Canadian citizenship. However, permanent residents are not allowed to vote, run for political office or hold certain jobs.

Applying for permanent residency

If you are applying for permanent residency, you need to include all your dependent children and your spouse or partner in your application even if they are not accompanying you to Canada. These family members will have to undergo medical exams and background checks. They have to pass these tests in order for the applicant to be given permanent resident status.

Family sponsorships

Upon being declared a permanent resident, you can sponsor your spouse, parents, children and others for permanent residence. Spouses can be sponsored for permanent residence through marriage, common law or conjugal relations.

As a sponsor, you are required to be responsible for the financial needs of your sponsored spouse, partner or child for three years from the time they are accepted as permanent residents. If you are unable to provide financial support, and they receive social assistance, you will be required to reimburse the government of Canada.

A permanent resident or citizen of Canada can also sponsor their parents or grandparents for permanent residence in Canada.  In order to do they must have been working in Canada for at least three years and have earned sufficient income to support themselves, their existing family, and the family members they wish to sponsor.  Brothers and sisters can be included in a parental sponsorship application as long as they are minors.

FAQ General Immigration