How can I check the status of my application?
The IRCC has made it easy for applicants to check the status of their application. You can check the status of your application online or via telephone, depending on the type of application you made. Let’s go over the few methods the IRCC has put in place to check application status.
Check application status online
If you applied online for any of the following, you can check the status of your application online:
- If you applied for permanent residency within or outside Canada
- If you applied for renewal or replacement of your permanent resident card
- If you applied to sponsor a member of the family class
- If you applied for Canadian citizenship
- If you applied for Canadian citizenship on behalf of someone who is adopted by a citizen of Canada
- If you applied for a citizenship certificate
- If you applied to renounce or resume Canadian citizenship
The process of checking your application status online is simple. You only need to sign in to your account and click on the “view my submitted applications or profiles”. You can easily check the status or messages from the IRCC using your account
Check your application status by telephone
To check your application status by telephone, get in touch with the IRCC Call Centre on 1-888-242-2100. You can use the number if you are in Canada or your application has been processed in Canada even if you are away. For those applications that were processed outside Canada, get in touch with the visa office where you submitted them.
The IRCC Call Centre is a telephone service that is available to answer general questions about the immigration and application process. IRCC Help Centre also answers a set of FAQs on immigration in Canada.
How to check application status for paper applications
There are two ways to check the status of your application if you didn’t apply online
- IRCC provides the check application status tool on their website that is updated daily. Submit a few details of your application and you’ll get the results instantly.
- The other option would be to create an online account and then link it to your application. This online account is beneficial in that it allows you to get communication from the IRCC regarding your application status as well as any documents that may be required during processing. Any messages about your application will be sent online instead of by mail.
Note that not all types of paper applications can check their status through an online account.
Processing times for applications
The processing time varies depending on the type of application and the number that the IRCC is currently processing. For instance, family sponsorship applications were reviewed to take approximately 12 months to be processed. To prevent delays in your application, make sure all the documents required in the checklist have been submitted along with the necessary forms. Make applications early especially for renewals to avoid inconveniences when making travel plans.
- Free Assessment
- Immigration Services
- Permanent Residence
- Family Sponsorship
- Skilled Workers
- Canadian Experience Class
- Express Entry
- Permanent Resident Cards
- Provincial Immigration Programs
- Business Immigration
- Temporary Residence
- Permanent Residence