Sponsoring a Spouse From Russia

If you are getting married to a Russian citizen and you are looking forward to living in Canada together, you need to seek the help of an experienced immigration lawyer to begin the process of spousal sponsorship Canada. Russian officials need proof that you are not married to someone else. Among the documents that you will have to provide to the Russian officials include an Affidavit of single status.


Getting Married to a Russian

In Russia, marriages are very sensitive and for you to receive a marriage certificate, you must provide all the required official documents.

The Documents that Need Legalization for You to Marry a Russian Include:

-An affidavit of marital status
-Divorce decree
-The death certificate or a former spouse where necessary
-Previous marriage certificate where necessary
-Birth certificate
-Name change certificate where necessary

All the above documents need to be legalized by the Russian embassy or translated into Russian. That’s the only way the documents will be considered legal or valid in Russia. Your Canadian passport doesn’t require legalization since it is considered an internationally recognizable document. However, your photocopies of ID and bio page will need to be notarized as true copies of the original.

How to Get a Russian Marriage Certificate

As a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, you can apply for a private visa. The visa is only valid for 3 months. You must submit an official letter of invitation when applying for this visa. The private visa is usually issued to anyone who wants to visit a family member or friend in Russia. However, private visas can be very cumbersome and you need an immigration lawyer to advice on the next step should you want to visit your spouse in Russia. The Russian marriage document that you receive will only be applicable for 6 months from the date of issue. If the parties do not marry within those 6 months, you will have to apply again using new supporting documents.

Seek the Help of an Immigration Lawyer Immediately

Sponsoring your Russian spouse to Canada is certainly not an easy process. You need an immigration lawyer to help you determine the best options depending on your situation. For instance, you may need to apply for a private visa as you wait for the spousal application to be processed. An immigration lawyer will help you to keep track of all the deadlines and ensure your marriage document doesn’t become invalid before you marry your Russian fiancé. If your Russian spouse has children, you need a good immigration lawyer to help you review the financial obligations that you will have to meet if your application is approved. An immigration lawyer will not only make the application process simple and stress-free but also avoid loss of time and money and in some cases, getting banned from ever applying again.

Additional Articles: Sponsoring Spouse from Different Countries