Sponsoring a Spouse From Ukraine


Are you looking forward to bringing your Ukrainian spouse/partner to live in Canada? You need to file for spousal sponsorship Canada for them to be granted permanent residency. The process can be lengthy and sometimes complex which is why you need the help of an immigration lawyer. An immigration lawyer can help you go through the entire application with ease while saving you time and money in the process.

Getting Married to a Ukrainian

While marrying a Ukrainian is not hard, you may need legal help when it comes to sponsoring the person to live in Canada. In Ukraine, a woman must be 17 years of age to be married legally. However, the legal age for marriage for males in Ukraine is 18 years.

Applying for Marriage Registration

You need to visit the local RAGS (Department of Vital Statistics and Civil Status) in Ukraine to apply for your marriage to be registered. If you are unable to be there in person, a legal representative can be used. Your immigration lawyer can help you prepare all the documents needed when applying to have your marriage registered.

Among the documents that you will need include:

-A Statement In lieu of Certificate of Non-Impediment to Marriage

-Statutory Declaration on Marital Status

-A valid Canadian passport

-A birth certificate (if born in Canada ) or Canadian citizenship certificate (for Canadian citizens who were born abroad)

-Identification card like driver’s license

You may also require the identification page of your passport to be translated into Ukrainian by a licensed translation agency. This document will then be required to be authenticated by a licensed notary. Your immigration lawyer can make this process easy by helping you identify a licensed translation agency and making sure all documents are legalized as required.
If you submit a statutory declaration or statement in Lieu of Certificate of Non-impediment to marriage that is not legalized and authenticated, your application may be denied. An immigration lawyer will ensure that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine receives all applications duly completed and documents notarized.

After the marriage is registered, you need to request for an additional copy of the marriage certificate. The marriage certificate will also need to be translated to English and notarized. You must notify the authorities in both Ukraine and Canada of your marriage. To do this, you need to leave a copy of the marriage certificate (the translated version) at the Canadian consulate in Ukraine.

Work With a Reputable Immigration Lawyer

An experienced immigration attorney can help to evaluate your unique circumstances should you need to sponsor your Ukrainian spouse to Canada. You will get expert advice to follow the option that is most favorable to you. An attorney can also facilitate the entire process. This includes helping you to fill out all forms to increase your chances of the application being approved. The lawyer will deal with all the immigration bureaucracy on your behalf.

Additional Articles: Sponsoring Spouse from Different Countries